- Nanoparticles and Autoimmune Diseases – Study January 31, 2014
A study by Trinity College Dublin links exposure to nanoparticles to rheumatoid arthritis and other autoimmune diseases. See OHS Insider’s article New Study Warns of Tie Between Nanoparticles & Autoimmune Diseases.
- Diabetes – Work environment may put women at risk of diabetes – IWH/ICES study January 31, 2014
According to a study by the Institute for Work & Health and the Institute for Clinical Evaluative Sciences “women with low job control at work are twice as likely to develop diabetes compared to women with high job control, according to a nine-year study.” See IWH’s website at Work environment may put women at risk of diabetes.
- Are those who work shifts more at risk of work injury – Institute for Work & Health January 31, 2014
This IWH study looks at whether people working night or rotating shifts are at more risk of getting injured at work. See the IWH’s website at Are those who work shifts more at risk of work injury?
- Shift and night work and working long hours – a systematic review of safety implications January 31, 2014
See abstract at: Shift and night work and long working hours – a systematic review of safety implications. Source: U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Institutes of Health, PubMed.
- Women working night shifts may have increased risk of Type 2 diabetes – Research article January 31, 2014
Women working night shifts may have increased risk of Type 2 diabetes. See research article “Rotating Night Shift Work and Risk of Type 2 Diabetes: Two Prospective Cohort Studies in Women“.
- Breast Cancer – University of Windsor study January 31, 2014
A University of Windsor study finds risk of breast cancer increased in workers in automotive plastic manufacturing and food canning industries. See the abstract of the study at Breast cancer risk in relation to occupations with exposure to carcinogens and endocrine disruptors: a Canadian case-control study.
- Mental Health – BC’s Act includes bulling/harassment in its mental disorders provision January 31, 2014
Effective July 2012, BC’s Workers Compensation Act‘s mental disorder provision includes bullying/harassment. See WorkSafeBC’s Mental Health in the Workplace. Also see Bill 14 for specific wording of the new provision.
- Random alcohol testing in the workplace – Supreme Court of Canada ruling January 31, 2014
Supreme Court of Canada rules random alcohol tests not justified in Communications, Energy and Paperworkers Union of Canada, Local 30 v. Irving Pulp & Paper, Ltd (June, 2013). See Supreme Court of Canada website for its decision.
- Workplace drug and alcohol testing – Drug and alcohol testing: case update January 31, 2014
This article, from Health & Safety Ontario, highlights 2 high profile court cases dealing with random drug and alcohol testing in the workplace. See Health & Safety Ontario’s summary of what is and isn’t allowed under the law and brief summaries of the 2 cases at Drug and alcohol testing: case update.
- Mandatory Retirement Eliminated for Federally Regulated Employees January 31, 2014
The Government of Canada repealed certain provisions of the Canadian Human Rights Act that allowed for mandatory retirement. Federally regulated employers are now prohibited from forcing mandatory retirement at a certain age, unless it is due to a bona fide occupational requirement. Changes took effect in December 2012.
For more information, see: