Sep 13, 2022 - Sep 14, 2022
International experts to present at mental health conference in Halifax
The First Responders Mental Health conference is set to welcome several leading experts to Halifax next month, to share new and effective approaches for supporting mental health and well being in emergency response occupations.
The conference, scheduled September 13 and 14 at the Westin Hotel, is presented by a committee of Nova Scotia first responders and their employers, who have been working together for the past few years to address mental health stigma and provide more resources for front-line emergency service workers and workplaces. The conference is co-sponsored by WCB Nova Scotia and the Department of Labour, Skills and Immigration, and offers learning streams for first responders and their employers.
The dynamic conference program includes sessions by:
- Dr. Erika Sabbath on Promoting Mental Health at Work
- Dr. Jeff Morley on Trauma, Moral Distress and Moral Injuries
- CMHA’s Lindsay Miller and Glen Rodgers on the Canadian Standard for Workplace Psychological Safety
- Dr. Robert Tanguay from the Newly Institute, on Supporting Employees after Psychological Injury
- Dr. Belinda Seagram on the Landing Strong Program
- Anita Watts on Trauma Coaching and Mental Health First Aid
- Colleen Kamps and Roger Forget on PPE for the Mind, and How to Develop a Peer Support program
- Mary Beth Fleming on strategies for getting back to life and work
- WCB Nova Scotia’s Ian MacDonald on navigating psychological injuries, and Safety Branch Director Dr. Michelle Thomason on Understanding Policy Options for Psychological Health in the Workplace.
Jill Balser, Minister of Labour Skills and Immigration, and Brian Comer, Minister of Mental Health and Addictions will also be on hand to offer opening remarks each day. Canadian Mental Health Association – Nova Scotia Division Executive Director, Karn Nichols is the conference MC.
Conference seats are filling quickly. Visit www.firstrespondersmentalhealthns.com/conference for more information and to register.