COMING JANUARY 1, 2021 IN THE NORTHWEST TERRITORIES
To harmonize safety legislation across Canada, amendments to First Aid regulations will come into effect in the Northwest Territories Occupational Health and Safety (OHS) Regulations as of January 1, 2021. Updates for legislative changes in Nunavut will be announced as information becomes available.
Amendments can be found on the Safety Legislation page of our website.
HOW DOES THIS CHANGE AFFECT ME?
1. Employers will need to update their first aid kits. They have a one-year transition period to January 1, 2022, to use up existing supplies and then update their first aid kits to meet the new regulations.
2. Current first aid certificates will be recognized as valid until the date of expiry.
3. First aid training providers need to update first aid training and training materials for January 1, 2021. Training providers need to submit their application to the Chief Safety Inspector by December 1, 2020.
The WSCC has several tools to help employers navigate these changes.
• The Amendment on First Aid is available on the legislation page on the WSCC website.
• Two codes of practice will be available in December to guide employers and training organizations:
o First Aid Kits
o First Aid Training
For more information, or to submit your updated first aid training program for approval, send an inquiry to OHSregs@wscc.nt.ca or by phoning 1 (800) 661 0792.